Linda Means to Wait - When life knocks you off beat listen in and follow the rhythm!
RSS

Recent Posts

Play Dates
Sharpening Comic Skills Can Bring Freshness to Your Performance Style
Dealing With Disappointment
I Just Love to Have Someone Shop For Me!
"On Hold"

Categories

Acting Jobs
Auditioning
Comedy
Performances
Publicity
Rehearsal
powered by

Brain Drippings

Public RELATIONships

On Monday, 8/6/12, I woke up early (about 5:45am) and nervous in anticipation of a planned meeting I was to attend in Harlem at the Harlem Arts Alliance's monthly meeting.  This is a monthly event where Harlem Arts Alliance (HAA) members can network, meet old friends, make new ones, and find out what's happening on the artistic front in New York City.

It had been recommended to me by a dear, Afro-connected man-about-town, Kojo, that I go and perform an excerpt from my show to let people in the community know about my upcoming performances (8/11-8/25) and to give them a taste of what the show is like.  I was excited, but nervous because I haven't done the show in several years.

A good friend of mine, Petol Weekes, the previous day had offered to meet me there to take pictures and seeking a calming influence, I said, "Of course!"

Even though I wasn't going to work until the afternoon, I left the house just slightly later than my regular schedule.  I figured I could get to Manhattan early, find a spot to have coffee, catch up on emails, and map out my performance in my head.

I parked myself in a midtown McDonalds, walked through a few things in my mind, responded to some emails and time was up.  I then headed up to Harlem.

As I approached the Riverside Church, my heart warmed with the thought of the different times I had performed there on other occasions and found such a supportive audience.

I was offered coffee when I entered (leftovers from a teachers' conference upstairs) and greeted in the familiar, welcoming spirit that I'd recalled from prior visits.

I entered the theater and met a young lady who was clearly a performer.  She told me about her show, which had gone to the National Black Theater Festival, and we exchanged postcards.  As people trickled into the auditorium, I began to feel so at ease, so at home.

At the start of the meeting each member was asked to introduce himself and state his affiliation.  As the mic moved through the audience I got information about all kinds of Harlem events, including a peace walk, bare-headed ladies event, and several visual and performing arts events.

When Petol arrived, I felt completely comfortable.  She readily accepted my request to read the intro I jotted down to be read during the introduction of my scene.  I then performed my scene to what now felt like family.  People laughed, clapped, and let their support be fully expressed.

I am so grateful for an organization like the Harlem Arts Alliance.  Even though I haven't lived in Harlem since 1992, it always FEELS like home.

18 Comments to Public RELATIONships:

Comments RSS
synergyofwellbeing on Friday, March 31, 2017 2:28 PM
Thanks for contributing your important time to post such an interesting & useful collection.It would be knowledgeable & resources are always of great need to everyone. Please keep continue sharing.

best research paper service on Friday, June 08, 2018 6:06 AM
That's kind, every time someone offers you a coffee or ask if you want something while you are too busy. It means that they care for you, and they want you to lighten up, since you are being stressed by your work or what you are doing. This is one exciting event to attend, knowing that there are a lot of people who are interested regarding what you are doing. I like how the things go, because you are creating a relationship between other people. Nowadays, there are people who need that kind of attention. They are the one who needs someone who can listen to them, all ears. God bless your community.

Delilah on Friday, March 31, 2017 2:32 PM
You are very decent with your work that you was offered coffee when you entered (leftovers from a teachers' conference upstairs) and greeted in the familiar. It is very good to know about you. I think you are a coffee lover too. Thank you so much and I want to be a man like you.

Industrial training in Indore on Wednesday, April 12, 2017 9:12 AM
Thanks for the informative post by you.

Digital Communication Company in India on Thursday, January 25, 2018 3:17 AM
I go through your blog, content is very impressive and easy to understand.

rushmyessays.org on Monday, April 23, 2018 9:29 AM
great blog they have actually made me get essay writing help in the best possible way via professionals. thanks to authors for delivering such quality work. really glad i got this

B3 Men Jacket on Monday, April 30, 2018 3:42 AM
Does god impose his will on people? praying for a change in your relationship or marriage successful life,really very impressive topics I ever seen. Great job, this drjessewalker blog always giving us about check out this show and more live objectives.

writing on Monday, May 07, 2018 6:49 AM
Many people like soy that is best food for their health. People can make healthy dish by using soy and like the taste of this dish. Soy dish can resolve many health problems. People can get rid from different deceases after using soy.

writing help uk on Monday, May 07, 2018 7:54 AM
It's imperative that you buy the interior decor in the home right after that which will be discussed, it is actually an issue of an snapshot, you could properly confess is often a legitimate do the job involving art

alice on Thursday, June 07, 2018 10:37 PM
nice

John Thomas on Wednesday, June 27, 2018 6:55 AM
Thank you for all your efforts that you have put in this. Very interesting information I like this site very much so much superb information.

Grosvenor casino on Sunday, July 29, 2018 3:51 AM
All things considered, online gambling clubs do their best to engage their clients in the most ideal way.

johnsmith on Thursday, August 16, 2018 6:45 AM
First time i visit this website and i am very glad to read this amazing post about the public relation ship. The information you share in it is very well. I must share this with others it become informative for all. Keep it up and keep sharing. trolley wheels for sale in uk

Brief Biography on Monday, September 17, 2018 3:32 AM
Thanx for sharing such useful post keep it up :)

College Admission Essay Writing Help on Monday, September 17, 2018 8:05 AM
I loved the way you discuss the topic great work thanks for the share.

Anonymous on Thursday, November 15, 2018 3:27 AM
This blog is truly extraordinary in all aspects. Hip Pain Treatments

logo designs on Monday, December 03, 2018 11:11 AM
Your weblog is admittedly good normally a satisfaction to examine your posts.

Medan on Friday, December 07, 2018 11:47 PM
That's reall an amazing post. Thanks for letting us know about it. fun games android free